The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) is the county’s primary transportation agency. OCTA creates funds and delivers efficient transportation for Orange County. We keep Orange County moving with extensive bus and paratransit service, Metrolink commuter rail service, the 91 Express Lanes Toll Road, motorist services and freeway, street and road improvement projects. OCTA began in in 1991 with the consolidation of seven separate transportation agencies. OCTA is dedicated to its organizational mission and core values. OCTA’s mission is to develop and deliver transportation solutions to enhance quality of life and keep Orange County moving. OCTA’s core values consist of integrity, teamwork, communication, customer focus, and can-do spirit.
Under general direction, develops, plans and administers the design, implementation, analysis, and funding of multimodal transportation system projects and studies in Orange County.
This is an exempt position in Salary Grade S: Min $80,828.80 – Mid $100,235.20 – Max $119,620.80 per year. The starting salary will be within this range based on qualifications.
The application deadline for this position is Wednesday, September 20, 2017.
This list is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification and is not designed to be interpreted as an exhaustive listing of all tasks required of employees assigned to this job.
• Assists with a variety of intelligent transportation systems projects.
• Supports signal timing optimization projects including field work, design, technical analysis, graphics, and engineering reports.
• Works with local agencies and Caltrans to prepare, implement, and monitor countywide traffic signal synchronization plans.
• Assists with intersection and roadway level-of-service analyses, site access/circulation/capacity analyses, traffic simulation and modeling, as well as technical report preparation.
• Assists with development of scopes of work for consultants working on traffic engineering projects.
• Ensures adherence to scope, schedule, and budget requirements.
• Interfaces with elected officials, the public and the media; acts as liaison with local and other agencies.
• Prepares and presents written reports and technical analysis.
• Represents Authority, makes presentations, and responds to inquiries at public meetings and professional groups.
• Assists in the preparation of cooperative agreements with key transportation agencies, including Caltrans, cities, and counties .
• Reviews contractors’ engineering design drawings, including geometric design, signing, pavement markings, and traffic signals are met.
• Coordinates planning activities with internal departments and external agencies.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in transportation engineering or related field and seven years of progressively responsible transportation experience, three of which are at the senior level. Project management experience is desirable. Registration as Professional Traffic Engineer license (TE) in the State of California is desirable.
• Knowledge of intelligent transportation systems and transportation engineering
• Experience with tools such as Synchro, SimTraffic, Vistro, and HCS
• Strong written and verbal communication/presentation skills
• Ability to analyze and present data in draft sections of reports or presentations
• Project management techniques and systems
• Manage multiple projects and activities concurrently
• Analyze complex transportation problems and formulate recommendations
• Direct, plan, and review the work of consultants
• Communicate effectively with diverse range of stakeholder groups
• Develop a consensus among various agencies
Working Conditions/Physical Activities:
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. OCTA provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Positions in this class typically require:
• Work may be performed in a stressful, fast-paced office environment, depending upon assignment.
• Requires ability to understand verbal communication and to respond effectively.
• Positions in this class typically require: Reaching, Fingering, Grasping, Feeling, Talking, Hearing, Seeing, and Repetitive Motions in computer use.
Compensation and Benefits:
OCTA offers an attractive compensation and benefits package. The specific features of this package include: medical, dental and vision insurance; retirement; vacation and holiday pay; life insurance; deferred compensation plan; short-term and long-term disability plans; flexible spending accounts; educational reimbursement; ergonomic/wellness programs; and flex-time. Salary is dependent upon qualifications.
OCTA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and ensures that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or veteran status.