OCTA's Emerging Professionals Intern Program is a year-round paid student/intern program. You will gain real world work experience on meaningful projects under the guidance of transportation professional. You will have the opportunity to use problem solving, communication and decision-making skills as you gain valuable work experience. You will also work with a mentor and benefit from career counseling.
As an Emerging Professional, you will be exposed to OCTA's career opportunities in the transportation industry. You will gain deeper awareness of transportation's many facets through your OCTA orientation, projects and teams, and internal networking.
Under direct supervision, assist project managers in preparation of plans and specifications, cost estimation, and construction inspection, as well as other duties to support the department.
The interview/hiring process will result in an eligibility list to fill current and/or future openings through September 10, 2018.
The pay range is from $14.00 - $17.00 per hour depending on your education level. This position is not eligible for employee benefits. The work schedule will consist of approximately 20 hours a week, not to exceed 1,000 hours within a continuous 12 month period.
This application deadline for this position is February 24, 2018.
This list is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification and is not designed to be interpreted as an exhaustive listing of all tasks required of employees assigned to this job.
• Assist project managers in preparation of plans, specifications, and cost estimation.
• Construction project management including: project inspection, daily reporting, weekly statements of contract days, document control, and projects file management.
• Electronic drafting using AutoCAD software, updating project record plans, and other technical duties to support the Capital Improvement Program.
• Proficiency with AutoCAD 2017-2018 is required.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft XP (Word, Excel).
• Civil, transportation, and/or mechanical engineering principles and methods.
• Basic principles and practices of construction, cost estimating, and cost control.
• Provide critical thinking and analytical skills.
• Perform entry-level professional work.
• Currently a full-time college student, Junior, Senior or Graduate, attending a four-year university or college, with an emphasis in Civil, Technical, Industrial, Mechanical Engineering or related field.
• Must be a full-time student maintaining a 2.5 GPA.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Effective organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines.
• Intern must conduct themselves in a professional manner.
Working Conditions/ Physical Activities:
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. OCTA provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
Positions in this class typically require:
• Work may be performed in a stressful, fast-paced office environment, depending upon assignment.
• Requires ability to understand verbal communication and to respond effectively.
• Positions in this class typically require: Reaching, Fingering, Grasping, Feeling, Talking, Hearing, Seeing, and Repetitive Motions in computer use.
The above statements are intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
OCTA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and ensures that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or veteran status.