The Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA), Orange County’s primary transportation agency. It’s our job to develop and deliver transportation solutions to enhance the quality of life and keep Orange County moving. Operating in a 798 square-mile area, we serve more than 3 million residents in 34 cities and unincorporated areas. Our responsibilities extend to all forms of transportation, including bus and paratransit service, Metrolink commuter rail service, planned future rail, including street cars, the 91 Express Lanes Toll Road, freeway, street and road improvement projects, motorist services and regulating taxi operations. OCTA has been recognized for excellence in the public transportation industry by the American Public Transportation Association and has been honored with awards from local and national organizations for our transportation improvements. OCTA’s core values consist of integrity, teamwork/partnership, communication, customer focus, can-do spirit and safety.
Under minimal guidance, supports a variety of projects and teams with insights gained from analyzing OCTA and third-party transportation, demographic, and other related data, both geospatial and non-spatial. The Analyst is adept at using large or complex data sets and analytical techniques to explore and evaluate the effectiveness of different projects and policies. Uses a variety of tools for spatial and non-spatial data mining to build and implement models, algorithms, and simulations that provide data-driven insights and results. Works with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams within and beyond the GIS Section to understand business requirements and develop information products to assist decision-making. Prepares intuitive maps, graphs, and narrative, and communicates findings and results to team members, stakeholders, and leadership.
This is an exempt position in Salary Grade S: Min $85,696.00 – Mid $105,092.00– Max $124,488.00 annually. The starting salary will be within this range based on qualifications.
The application deadline for this position is Monday, December 2, 2019.
This list is intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification and is not designed to be interpreted as an exhaustive listing of all tasks required of employees assigned to this job.
• Coordinates and collaborates with stakeholders and different functional teams to develop an understanding of relevant programs and requirements. Works with stakeholders in Planning and throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging spatial and non-spatial data-driven solutions.
• Mines, retrieves, and applies statistical and mathematical analyses to spatial and non-spatial data from internal and external databases to identify trends, solve analytical problems, derive insights, and inform decision-makers. Develops testing frameworks and tests of database and models quality and performance.
• Creates, designs, develops, integrates, and maintains complex geographic databases and related tables. Identifies and collects data from various sources and evaluates and assesses its accuracy and effectiveness; prepares data for efficient analyses.
• Performs exploratory data analysis, visualizes information using existing and new tools (ArcGIS, R, Excel, etc.), develops scripts and algorithms, creates explanatory and predictive models, and conducts comparative analyses to addresses specific problems and questions.
• Creates progress reports and leads project activities. Prepares time, cost and schedule estimates. Controls changes to project scope in order to remain within original project budget and schedule.
• Performs difficult technical research and project development related to complex GIS and data analysis related problems. Evaluates alternatives and recommend effective courses of action. Serves as a technical resource on difficult technical issues. Prepares and maintains technical documentation and accurate, organized records.
• Administers consultant contracts and task orders, helping to ensure consultant adherence to scope, schedule, budget, and contract terms. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships to ensure the effective coordination of activities with internal departments and external agencies.
• Recommends and develops processes and tools to automate data processing, perform analyses, and monitor and analyze model accuracy and outcomes.
• Prepares intuitive and compelling maps, graphics, reports and briefings, and consults with stakeholders to communicate findings and refine the reports.
• Develops websites and services to deploy model components and data exploration tools, and to disseminate model documentation and results, including dynamic maps.
• Creates meta data and data dictionaries, code annotation, flow charts, process diagrams, and other documentation to ensure work products are open and reproducible.
Any combinations of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in GIS or Geospatial Science or Technologies, Data Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Engineering, or related technical field, with a minimum of seven years of experience in a GIS and Data Science related area, three years of which are at the senior level. An understanding of spatial analysis and geographic data processing and presentation issues, knowledge of GIS and relevant software packages, and experience performing advanced data analysis and developing algorithms and mathematical models is required. A master’s degree or PhD. is preferred.
• Conducting large-scale data analysis through all project phases and entire project lifecycles (understanding business requirements, project definition, formulating analytical approaches, performing data development, extraction, and exploration, statistical analyses and algorithm development and testing, and interpreting and presenting findings and results).
• ESRI suite of products, including ArcGIS, R, Python, SQL, as well as relational database management systems, including MS SQL Server.
• Data management, processing, and analysis to draw insights from large or complex data sets.
• Technical project management practices and techniques.
• Geographic database development and administration, geoprocessing, analytical cartography, map compositions, and creating data structures including geodatabases and other databases.
• Advanced mathematics and statistical techniques and concepts (linear algebra, regression and geographically weighted regression, probability distributions and functions, statistical tests and their proper usage) and experience with their applications.
• Creating and using advanced machine learning algorithms and statistics: regression, simulation, scenario analysis, modeling, clustering, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
• Deliver accurate, high quality results free from errors and omissions.
• Work accurately, productively and efficiently without additional training.
• Manage multiple and concurrent assignments and meet deadlines.
• Communicate ongoing work and findings to leadership and other team members in written, visual, and verbal communications.
• Innovate, contribute strong problem-solving skills, and thrive in emerging or ambiguous environments.
• Develop and present results and recommendations of project analysis.
• Develop and test scripts and algorithms, and create explanatory and predictive models, and conduct comparative analyses.
• Understand spatial analysis and geographic data processing and presentation.
• Analyze, interpret, and direct completion of projects and programs.
• Effectively collaborate and make impactful contributions using interpersonal skills.
• Lead meetings and work sessions with project teams.
• Develop project concepts, create work plans, and execute complete projects.
• Provide accurate time and cost estimates for project work plans.
• Use technical collaboration tools and cloud-based version controls platforms.
• Exemplify a customer-service mindset and approach.
• Suggest and develop project concepts, analytical approaches, and processes.
Working Conditions/Physical Activities:
(The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. OCTA provides reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions).
Positions in this class typically require:
• Work may be performed in a stressful, fast-paced office environment, depending upon assignment.
• Requires ability to understand verbal communication and to respond effectively.
• Positions in this class typically require: Reaching, Fingering, Grasping, Feeling, Talking, Hearing, Seeing, and Repetitive Motions in computer use.
Compensation and Benefits:
OCTA offers an attractive compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision health insurance programs, flex time (may be available), paid sick leave, paid vacation and holidays, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, retirement, deferred compensation plan, educational reimbursement, excellent in-house training programs, free transportation passes for the employee and dependents, wellness and ergonomic programs, and much more.
OCTA is an equal employment opportunity employer that recruits, hires, and promotes qualified people without regard to race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, disability, genetic information, military and veteran status, or other legally protected status.